13 September, 2018
The Inaugural Oakland Cocktail Week 9/15-9/23!Posted in : Bars and Tasting Rooms, Bars in Oakland - CA on by : becca
It’s rare that a press release results in a post on the Gourmez, but I’ll make an exception for the inaugural Oakland Cocktail Week, September 15 through 23, 2018.
I’ve taken a tour before with Raquel Navarro of See.Eat.Love, a founding company behind the Cocktail Week, so I’m confident it’ll be well organized, and wow, does the early info seem to indicate just that! The first Oakland Cocktail Week will primarily consist of $10 unique, inventive cocktails available at over 40 Oakland, Alameda, and Emeryville venues throughout the week.
Each locale, bar or restaurant, will have its own featured $10 drink that celebrates some facet of the spirit, people, and/or history of the area – though some of them are making a whole featured menu’s worth! I’m booked up at the beginning of the week, but I’m going to hit up as many as I can toward the end of it. Here’s what’s catching my eye:
- The Fox Theatre Smash at AlaMar Kitchen & Bar: Bird Dog maple whiskey, Meyer lemon, falcon spirits amaro, balsamic fig shrub, cherry bark vanilla bitters, ginger beer. “Inspired by the Fox Theatre which is a landmark in this beautiful town. There’s always a beautiful diverse crowd there from all walks of life and flavors. This cocktail blends cool eclectic flavors that give you sweet, tart, bitter, and smoky flavors just like the different artists that play at the Fox.”
- Let the Schwarz-Bier With You at Hawking Bird: Old Kan Dark Schwarzbier, OSCO “Tradewinds” assam tea & masala spice infused brandy. “The Schwarz definitely biers with Adam over at Old Kan, who keeps making fantastic brews just as balanced and clean as they are flavorful. A great nightcap option. No helmet required!”
- The Kamala Harris at Plum Bar: Wray & nephew rum, pear, cucumber, tarragon, undiyo masala. “Of Jamaican & Indian descent, United States Senator Kamala Harris has served in the SF City Attorney’s office, and as the California Attorney General. Kamal is a M*#%F&@ BOSS! Kamala Harris for President!”
Keep in mind, those are only a few of over 40 options! For the full list of featured cocktails for Oakland Cocktail Week, click here. But imbibing on the rich cocktail lore and offerings of Oakland aren’t all that’s on the menu for Oakland Cocktail Week – though let’s be real, it’s the focus.
There are additional ticketed events throughout the week, with a portion of their proceeds going to support ROC the Bay, a local nonprofit that brings together restaurant workers, employers, and consumers to create just and dignified workplaces for all, seeking to transform and lift-up the Bay Area’s restaurant industry by eliminating exploitation and discrimination. Not a bad reason to drink! What’re the event highlights for me?
- Monday, September 17 – Town Spirit, A Tribute to Oakland’s Enduring Bar Culture. Features the premiere of the short documentary of the same name and a night of music, bites, and Hennessy cocktails inspired by Oakland bars.
- Saturday, September 22 – Herbal Elixirs: Crafting Botanical Beverages and Bitters. This workshop will explore the effects of botanicals on our bodies through making cocktails and bitters together.
There’s also a Mai Tai tiki bar crawl, a cocktail competition and dance party, a cocktail pairing dinner at Hopscotch, and more! Seriously, check it out. Individual events range from free to $85.
Wait are you waiting for? Start planning your cocktail calendar now, because it all begins in two days! Want to join me for a drink? Well, you know where to find me.